Nestled in the heart of religious significance, the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe serves not only as a testament to faith but as a pilgrimage destination for countless believers.
Embracing the Divine Role
- Paying Tribute: The Shrine testifies to the veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary, revered as Our Lady of Guadalupe, a guiding star of the New Evangelization.
- Patroness of Life: Recognized as the defender of the unborn, her presence instills hope and protection.
- A Hub of Spirituality: The Shrine allows believers to connect with Christ through essential sacraments like the Holy Eucharist and Reconciliation.
- Gratitude's Abode: A sanctuary for expressing gratitude, especially during the bestowal of sacraments and significant life events.
- Healing and Solace: Comforting the physically and spiritually troubled is a beacon of hope.
- Education and Enlightenment: A platform to strengthen the faith of adult Catholics and familiarize them with their religious duties.
- The Papal Wisdom: The teachings and guidance from the Catholic Church, particularly the insights from the Holy Father, resonate through its walls.
The Backdrop: A Gift of Divine Providence
As pilgrims flock to partake in the Holy Mass and seek forgiveness, the radiant image of Our Lady of Guadalupe serves as a perpetual reminder of her mission to bridge Christ to his believers.
The inception of the Shrine dates back to November 1995, when Bishop Raymond Leo Burke envisaged the establishment of a Marian shrine. This vision soon met with reality when the Robert Swing family generously donated a sprawling 70-acre land, wishing for it to evolve into a sanctuary, drawing souls closer to God.
"From the first inspiration of the building of a shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe, the goal has been to build a beautiful church dedicated to Our Lord Jesus and His Mother and our Mother, Our Lady of Guadalupe." - Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke.
Shrine's Evolution: A Historical Timeline
- Raymond L. Burke's journey as the eighth bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse began on February 22, 1995.
- July 1999: Announcement of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe's construction in La Crosse.
- June 17, 2001: Groundbreaking ceremony for the Shrine complex.
- December 12, 2002: Pilgrim Center and the Mother of Good Counsel Votive Candle Chapel's dedication.
- May 13, 2004: Groundbreaking for the Shrine Church.
- December 9, 2004: The outdoor Stations of the Cross are dedicated.
- February 25, 2005: The Shrine expands, acquiring 30 acres adjacent to Tepeyac Road.
- May 19, 2005: The Shrine Church's cornerstone is laid, marking a historic moment.
- June 14, 2005: The Saint Benedict medal is placed in the crypt level of the Shrine Church.
- September 21, 2007: Dedication to St. Joseph the Workman.
- December 8, 2007: Inauguration of the Rosary Walk.
- July 30, 2008: Devotional area dedicated to Saint Kateri Tekakwitha.
- July 31, 2008: The Shrine Church is dedicated, marking a monumental day in its history.
- December 12, 2008: Memorial to the Unborn is dedicated.
- November 20, 2010: Archbishop Raymond Leo Burke is elevated to the College of Cardinals.
- September 23, 2011: The Marian Catechist Apostolate sets its international headquarters at the Shrine.
- December 12, 2012 & 2014: Statues of Blessed John Duns Scotus and the Guardian Angel are dedicated, respectively.
- December 12, 2015: The Way of the Cross Archway is unveiled.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a testament to faith, heritage, and the unwavering belief of countless souls. As it continues to touch lives, its legacy grows, echoing the whispers of prayers and hymns from every corner.
For more information please visit: https://www.guadalupeshrine.org
Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe
5250 Justin Rd, La Crosse, WI 54601